Monday, January 25, 2010

Christmas Eve 2009

We had a fun time on Christmas Eve being up with the Becks. We started the evening with a delicious dinner of slushburgers. Then all of the children dressed up to read the nativity. Bradley was a donkey, Camille was Mary, Tanner & Johnathan were Wise Men, and Carter & Parker shepherds. They all looked great. Grandpa Beck read from the scriptures as the kids depicted the parts of the story.

All of the costumes were pretty easy to put together, but the part of the donkey baffled me. I had never had to dress up any of my kids as a donkey before and didn't know where to begin. I looked on the Internet for some ideas and one said to have them wear a head band with socks attached for the ears. Camille and & I got some old socks and stuffed them. Camille used toilet paper as the stuffing part. They looked pretty silly upon completion, but at least they were closer to what a donkey looked like. Bradley was wearing them when he decided to put them into the water in the bathroom sink. Toilet paper doesn't do so well in water, so the ears started shriveling up and then looked awful. We had to come up with a new plan. I sent Byron to Wal-Mart to try to find a grey hoodie. He found a perfect one that even was nice and soft. Camille made some awesome paper ears using grey chalk. He ended up looking great.

Camille was trying to teach him what a donkey says, but Bradley kept on replying back "honkey, honkey." This made me laugh because when I was in 5th grade my family lived on an Indian Reservation in Wyoming. The Indians would call me a "honkie" since I was a white person. I didn't especially think that was a very nice thing to say and still hate that name. So when Bradley says this as what a donkey says, I can't help but smile.
Tanner
My cute donkey.
Bradley, Camille, Timothy & Cooper
Tanner, Alyssa, Ashlyn, Carter, Parker, Camille, Timothy & Cooper
The whole gang minus a wondering sheep (Clara) and cow (Cadan).

We ended the evening with the kids opening their cousins gifts. They were so excited to have one gift to open. We got the Mexican Train Dominoes from Clara. We have had so much fun playing this game as a family - highly recommend!

1 comment:

Janessa Couch said...

I have no idea how I missed these last two posts. Looks like you had a lot of fun sledding and celebrating Christmas Eve. Wow, your niece looks exactly like her father, but with curly hair. I think you said her name is Ashlyn. Amazing!