Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Refurbished Kitchen Table

We bought our kitchen table about 7 years ago used.  It was 10 years old when we bought it and was taken care of very well.  The only downfall was that this lady put lemon pledge on it every week and over time this created a thick sticky mess on top of the table.  It wasn't noticeable when purchasing it, but after sitting at the table you could feel the stickiness.  Byron hated our table and wanted to get a new one.  I was determined to make this beautiful one work that I had spent so much money on.  About 3 years ago I got daring and started scraping the film off the top of the table.  I even sanded it with a sander, but didn't really know what I was doing.  After sanding it for quite some time and realizing I really have no idea how far down to sand, I decided to stop.  I stained the table and decided I would end up getting a new one eventually.  Recently I found out that my neighbor, Lisa McArthur, is amazing with wood projects and other home decorating things.  She gladly helped me get my table back to being presentable.  I spent many hours sanding down the chairs since the sander wasn't able to get around all of the spindles and crevices.  Then Lisa went to town.  She was so quick and transformed it into such a beautiful table.  It was fun to learn from her and hopefully be able to do this on my parent's table at some point.  I did the stools myself with Bradley's help.  I am so happy with the finished product.
Here is a before picture.  You can see the discoloration at the top of the table due to me sanding it down and then staining it before I knew how to sand a table.  It was also still sticky.  It was pretty bad.
After sanding the chair.
Lisa spray painted all of the chairs and the table legs.  Then stained the top.  I am in love with the finished product.  I feel like I have a brand new table.   It is amazing what can be done with a little time and paint.

 
 
  I painted and stained the stools to match the table.

1 comment:

Janessa Couch said...

Impressive!!! I want to do the same with my table. You will have to give me pointers. Any chips yet in the paint? That would be my greatest concern.