Friday, October 24, 2008

Brotherly Love

Carter & Parker have such a special relationship with each other. I am touched so many times at how connected they are. What an amazing experience it would be to be a twin! I cannot even start to understand what special friends they are to each other. Of course there are the constant fighting days, but all in all the love seems to shine forth.

Tuesday night Carter came up to me saying that he was really itchy in certain areas on his body. After a quick inspection, I came to the conclusion that my poor boy had chicken pox. I knew that this might be the inevitable since so many people in our neighborhood were coming down with it despite getting the chicken pox vaccine. I had to give the bad news to Carter that he wouldn't be able to go to school for a few days. He was sad at the realization, especially when he realized that he would be missing his school field trip.

I was walking down the hall after the kids were all in bed and could hear crying coming from Carter & Parker's room. My first thought was that it was Carter sad about not being able to go to school. After coming into the room I found Parker crying. He was worried about his brother and didn't want to go to school without him. I honestly didn't expect this type of reaction from him. Luckily Byron was close by and quickly helped cheer Parker up.

We drove to the bus stop the following day to drop off Parker. He wanted to wait in the van with Carter since the bus wasn't there yet. He was hesitant to finally leave, but was being such a brave little guy. I started to think about this and realized that he hasn't been away from the family by himself probably ever. He has always had a brother or sister with him wherever he went. I'm sure this was a little scary for him.

Carter missed out on a much anticipated Pack Meeting on Wednesday. We were all able to dress up in our Halloween costumes -- so naturally my children were very excited about this. Carter was so sad. He asked if he could still put on his costume. He was so excited running around in his ninja outfit. As we left the church, I noticed that Parker still had some of his root beer in a cup. He told me that he was saving the rest for Carter - what a sweet brother! I had remembered to bring him home a donut, but didn't even think to get him some root beer. I am constantly amazed at how concerned and thoughtful they are to each other.

Well, he has now survived 3 days of chicken pox. We have had endless oatmeal baths and have applied calamine lotion numerous times. Hopefully these chicken pox will quickly leave so our house will get back to normal. In the meantime, this trial has helped me realize how much love these two brothers have for each other and I am in awe!

"A joy that is shared Is a joy made double." Author: English Proverb

5 comments:

Leah said...

I LOVE that picture of them! BOOO for the chicken pox!

Janessa Couch said...

Very sweet. There is something about being a twin that makes them that way. Mitchell was that way with his brother. They do finish each other's sentences at times though. I hope that the brotherly love stayes with them forever.

Mrs. Jamison said...

Sorry about the chicken pox, but it is such a joy as a parent to see the love expressed between children, and that seems to happen more often when there is sickess involved. Your boys are so cute together!

Sharon Beck said...

I loved the quote that you used at the end of this post! It's so true!
I've never seen this picture of Carter and Parker. My! How they've grown. I love how you express yourself Tricia. What awesome boys they are!

Anonymous said...

That was a very cute story. I've alsways wanted twins. Although I have two sets of twins in my primary and after a year. I still get them mixed up. They think I am funny!

Sorry to hear about the chicken pox. That's not fun! I hope it passes quickly:)