Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sunday thoughts

These past few days I have had a lot of time to reflect on my life and the direction it is going. There are so many days I feel like I am running around in circles with no directions at all. Days like that make me realize what I am doing in my life and how I need to make changes that will help my family and myself. I was DEEPLY touched by President Uchtdorf's word's yesterday at the Relief Society Broadcast. I was praying that I would be able to get something out of this meeting that would be able to help me in parenting, being a wife and in dealing with everyday life. I felt like President Uchtdorf was talking right to me and it brought tears to my eyes to listen to him. He said, "Our sisters sometimes undervalue their abilities. They focus on what is lacking or imperfect rather than that which has been accomplished and who they really are." I find myself under valuing my abilities all the time and have to remind myself that Satan wants me to do that. He wants me to be discouraged, miserable and negative about life. He doesn't want me to succeed and be happy. He is so sneaky and can slither into our lives in so many different ways if we let him - by our thoughts, TV, radio, internet, etc. Our homes are definitely under attack and I can feel it on a constant basis. How important it is to send our children out into the world wearing the Armor of God! We have been trying really hard to be constant in reading scriptures every morning and saying prayers together before the kids head off to school. I must admit that some days we only are able to read one scripture, but at least we are doing it. One of my favorite songs is "Scripture Power."

Because I want to be like the Savior and I can.
I'm reading his instructions, I'm following his plan.
Because I want the power his words will give to me.
I'm changing how I live, I'm changing how I'll be.

Scripture Power keeps me safe from sin.
Scripture Power is the power to win.
Scripture Power - every day I need
the power that I get each time I read.

These words are so powerful. I want my children to gain a love for the scriptures and realize how they can help them through anything that may happen in their lives.

I love being a mom and being able to raise 6 children. I pray constantly that I will know how to raise them righteously and help prepare them for missions/marriage. I have realized lately that this undertaking is made possible by so many wonderful people around us. We have such great primary teachers for my children who put so much effort into their weekly lessons. The Young Women's program is amazing! Camille can't say enough good about what goes on there. The scouting program is wonderful and Johnathan & Tanner have such amazing den leaders. Grandparents, Aunts, and Uncles can have such a lasting impact also.

I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful activities, people and resources around to help in this great endeavor of raising my children. How could I ever not be happy!

5 comments:

tamster17 said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Pres. Uchtdorf talk from the General RS meeting. I had the priviledge of attending that in person with my cousins and sister-in-law at the Conference Center & it was awesome! His talk hit me personally too and we really do need to focus more on what we are doing and the abilities we do have instead of focusing on what we lack. One of Satan's greatest tools is discouragement and he uses it against us well. Being able to recognize when he is working on us this way is the first step in dispelling it. I hope we can all do better at looking at the good we are doing and the good in our lives and making changes to make it even better.

Patty said...

President Uchtdorf message was so wonderful and so badly needed. I know as we focus on the good in life everyone is blessed.
I know how overwhelming your life is at this time of life. Thank goodness for the uplifting messages that help us to get our thoughts and priorities straight.

Patty said...

What beautiful comments, I feel exactly the same way about everything that you wrote.
Scripture study as a family is so difficult but like you say even one verse sends your children off with "Armor of God". The benefits are worth all of trials in making it happen.
I love hearing your children sing "Scripture Power". What a beautiful message.
I reflect on your teen years and times when I was critical. I regret those times. You worked so diligently to do what was right. I would get caught up in peer pressure and lose the right perspective at times. That is a tool of Satan's. I'm sorry for those times and I pray that you will forgive me for them.
You are an awesome, Wife, Mother, Daughter, Sister and Friend.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Pres. Uchtdorf's talk, too. It was very inspiring and helped me to want to focus on creating new spaces in my life. I just picked up my guitar the other day. It was all dusty, but I managed to tune it and teach myself a song. Music has always been a major part of my life that gets put on the back burner. I want to bring it out more and better that talent and share it with others.

Thanks for your thoughts! I really do think that as long as we are trying to do our best we can feel happiness in our lives and have the spirit more abundantly in our homes.

Lemon Family said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tricia. I think most moms feel that way at some point or another. It's so good to have a village to help raise children, isn't it?