Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Junior High for a day

This week at Lehi Junior High is "Parents at School Week." I was fortunate enough to be able to attend classes with Camille today. Camille had 4 classes today - each being 1 1/2 hours. She started out the day with Science. I sat in an empty seat next to her. What a weird feeling being back in school - no thank you :). It was a lot of fun seeing how Camille interacted among her classmates. In Science they were all put into groups where they had to draw a system on a person. Camille's group was given the Circulatory System. I thought it was funny how Camille laid on the butcher paper and had her body traced for the outline of the body. They did a great job on their system.

I was also able to attend "Health," "CTE," and "English." I was the only parent in the first two classes, and then I had another mom join me for the last two. Since I was a visitor, they provided me with a free lunch and pass to the front of the line - pretty cool! The food was pretty good - at least quite a few choices. We ate mozzarella sticks, green salad, chocolate pudding and applesauce. Camille is lucky enough to have the 2nd lunch, so I was pretty hungry by the time lunch came around.
What an awesome experience! I loved being there with Camille and seeing her in her element. She has such awesome teachers and I am very impressed with the school so far. I just wish more parents took advantage of this great opportunity!
While I was away, the kids had a blast with their grandma! She brought some playdough, which kept the kids entertained for hours. Thanks so much for being willing to watch them and sacrificing your time for us.

4 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

What an awesome opportunity. I have never heard of that before, but I can see what a wonderful purpose it has. That lunch sounded wonderful, mozarella sticks YUM! Glad to see Bradley is better.

Anonymous said...

That's so cool that you went to spend time with Camille. I just love volunteering in Mike and Sarah's classes each week and getting to eat lunch with them is a fun bonus.
I agree, more parents need to be involved in there kids education.

:) Tiff

Roberta said...

Funny, Camille is the age I remember you!

Patty said...

What a great opportunity for both you and Camille, to share a day of school together.
At our High School I remember going to Back-to-School night at least twice. They had the students go to school in the evening so that parents could come. The classes were about 20 minutes long.
When I went with Heather, that was when the San Francisco Earthquake hit. I was feeling sick to my stomach and looked over and saw the mother next to me digging her fingernails in the desk. Then two late students swaggered into Mr. Pancratz sp? class and they said, we are having an earthquake."
I learned so much sitting in those classes. I had more of a feeling about what their teachers were like and students in their classes.
I think the opportunity was only available twice when you children were going to school. Actually I think I found out the day of one for Adam and I had something going on that I couldn't cancel.
I think it is really helpful for parents, I 'm glad that you had that wonderful opportunity.