Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rexburg Trip, Feb. 13-15

Since Adam is up at BYU Idaho, we decided to go up and visit him over the 3-day weekend. We left Friday afternoon right after the kid's got home from school. As we started getting close to Rexburg we could see the beautiful Temple off to our right. It reminded us of the Nauvoo Temple - just gorgeous! We also were noticing that the closer we got towards Rexburg, the more the temperature outside started dropping. I definitely wasn't prepared for the colder temps. I have enjoyed watching the snow melt the past few weeks, so seeing snow everywhere was not a happy sight. The temperature got to 10 degrees - brrrr. We left home with very little snow on the ground to see heaping mounds in Rexburg.

We checked into our hotel in Rexburg to find out that the pool had been drained the day previous. We had specifically asked for a hotel with a pool, so weren't very happy about this change in events. We ended up going to another hotel to stay, which ended up being such a nice place. After all of the crazyness, we decided that 9:00 p.m. was just too late to go and see Adam. I took Parker, Tanner & Johnathan to go swimming for 1/2 hour. They had such a great time. It took us a few hours to get all winded down for bed. Bradley especially had a hard time since he took a late nap in the van.
10 degrees outside and cute Parker while swimming.
We woke up at 8:15 a.m. We went downstairs to eat breakfast then went to pick up Adam at 9:30 a.m. It was great to see him. Byron & I met up at Ricks College, so it was fun to be back after being away for so long. So much has changed in 14 years including a beautiful new temple. We almost didn't recognize it as the same place. Byron lived at Bunkhouse while at Ricks and I lived at the Riviera. We enjoyed going back to show the kid's where we lived and get pictures in front of the apartments. We went to the temple grounds, but unfortunately they were closed for cleaning. The kids enjoyed finding some HUGE mounds of snow in the parking lot. We headed over to campus to walk around. Adam was a great tour guide since so much has changed over time and there is so much construction going on. We walked through my old stomping grounds and went through some buildings. One nice thing about the sidewalks at BYU Idaho are that they are heated - so snow never will accumulate on them for very long. I would love to have this technology at home:).
For lunch we headed to "Big Judds" to enjoy their delicious food. I had gone there once previous while Byron & I were engaged. It is actually nicer than I had remembered. The food was delicious! They are known for their humongous hamburgers that literally take up a whole plate. We were lucky enough to get "heart" hamburgers since we went on Valentine's Day. We definitely bought more food than any of us could eat. They have great french fries also. To top it all off, the kid's got to share waffle cones on our way out.
We went back to our hotel and enjoyed some water fun! I got into the hot tub for a few minutes, but then decided I was done. Camille forgot her swimsuit, so I let her borrow mine. I enjoyed just watching from the side lines and taking pictures. Luckily all of the kid's, except for Bradley, are really good swimmers so it isn't as stressful as it could be with 6 kid's in a pool. They had fun playing Marco Polo and other pool games.
Bradley LOVING the water. He kept going from Camille to Byron to let them hold him.

Carter & Parker being goofy. They are little fish in the water.
After we got done swimming, we decided to go see the movie "Bedtime Stories." We were actually pleasantly surprised. I loved it! I was really worried with Adam Sandler being the lead actor, but Disney did a great job.
After the movie, we went back to relax in the hotel room. Bradley & Johnathan enjoying the bed while watching some TV.

We played Spoons and Apples to Apples. We all had a great time enjoying being with Adam and spending time together.
Adam & Carter
As 9:00 p.m. neared, we decided it was time to take Adam back to his apartment. We enjoyed seeing where he lives and meeting a few of his roommates. Adam showed us his pictures from his mission since we weren't able to see them when he got back in January. What a gorgeous place he served in Portugal. The beach areas and water are breathtaking.
Adam on his bed with a cool "Portugal" sign on his wall. Below we are all hoovered around his laptop looking at pictures.
On our way out I had to take a picture with Adam in front of his door.
We had such a great time with Adam. We loved seeing him in his own element and being able to spend quality time with him.

We enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday, relaxing, and ended up leaving for home around 11 a.m. Byron wasn't feeling very good, so we were taking it slow. We got home around 4:00 p.m. and enjoyed relaxing for the rest of the day.

Thanks Adam for letting us take you away for a day and enjoy spending time with you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I talked to Rachael yesterday and she said that she saw you guys on campus. What a small world!

Heather Ashby said...

I miss Rexburg. I lived at Carriage House. I haven't been there since the temple was built. I imagine it has changed a lot. I don't think I ever knew that the sidewalks were heated on campus. I rememeber that they would never plow the roads, just throw sand on them, which would splash all over the back of your pants and was hard to wash out. Good Times!

Janessa Couch said...

What fun. I have never even heard of that burger place. Those are HUGE! I want to see pics of his roommates, one of them sounds just like Adam on the phone and I keep thinking it is him. It is confusing.

Carrrie said...

How fun! I would love to go see my old stomping ground too. We haven't been there since Matt and Amanda moved, and it was always interesting to see things change.

Patty said...

Yup, those pictures look like the same Rexburg that we left with snow mounds everywhere.
I loved seeing all of the fun pictures. It sounds like all of you had a great time.
Those are sure humungous hamburgers. They make an older version of the Country Burger look like a teeny tiny one.
Maybe we'll get a chance to eat there. It looks like a family could eat one of the burgers and get full.
I hope that Byron is feeling better.