Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday thoughts

I have been thinking lately about how hard parenting is. I have realized how much I truly appreciate my parents and all that they did and are continuing to do for me. I absolutely LOVED growing up in a large family, but have realized how much work it truly is. Some days I would love to only have to deal with one or two children and their homework, discipline, etc., but am quickly thinking how boring my life would be. I am not sure why I have been so extremely blessed, but can't help but feel so grateful for each one of my six children. Every one of them teaches me so much that is helping me be a better person - through the good and bad:).

Today for Family Home Evening I was in charge of the lesson. I talked about the Second Coming and how important it is to prepare now since we don't know when it will be. We got some really good discussions going. I was able to tell my children how I am looking forward to being together with every one of them in the Celestial Kingdom and that we will also have Johanna with us. What a glorious day! My greatest hope is that my children realize how important it is to make good decisions now because they can make such a HUGE impact in their lives.

Raising 5 future missionaries is such a daunting task. I have so much to still teach each one of them - it is definitely a daily feat. I am overwhelmed almost on a daily basis, but realize that luckily I am not in this alone. I have such an amazing husband. Byron is able to say things to the kids that I would never think to say. He has much more patience some days than I have and will sit and listen to them. I lean on him so much to help me through everything we deal with as parents. Together we can get through anything that is thrown our way. I also have a loving Heavenly Father who knows me more than anyone else and will help me through this parenting journey.

"My dear sisters, do not pray for tasks equal to your abilities, but pray for abilities equal to your tasks. Then the performance of your tasks will be no miracle, but you will be the miracle." ~President Thomas S. Monson

5 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

Thanks for the reminder about families. We did grow up in a pretty wonderful family! I cheated and for family home evening we went out for ice cream.

Carrrie said...

I think you and Byron are amazing parents with wonderful children! I admire you for having 6 kids. I have a hard time with two boys some days, I can't imagine having that multiplied. :) You always inspire me to do better with my own children. Our FHE on Sunday night (Randy always has meetings with Asia on Monday nights) was on "helping around the house" which also triggered some good discussions (with Randy and Riley) about everyone having different responsibilities (including work and school) and how one person alone can't maintain all of the housework or it can cause tension and unkind feelings, which is something I don't like to have in our home. :) We made brownies and everyone helped with different ingredients and I asked Riley would would happen to the brownies if someone forgot to put in the eggs. "They would be YUCKY!" :)
And as a bonus...that night after I crashed on the couch at 9:15, Randy was puttering around cleaning the kitchen and the family room. So nice!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Tricia. I really needed to read this. I have been struggling as mom and totally out of balance with my life. It's tough having so many responsibilities while trying to be a mom of four. I feel like there is never enough time in my day to actually teach my children what is most important.
I now have some perspective and I believe I can be the mother my children need me to be.

:) Tiff

Mary said...

Tricia, Thankyou for your inspirational words. Im glad we as mothers all feel the same somedays. Lately I have been struggling with my three boys. I repent daily and hope I can be more patient and loving each day that goes by. You are awesome and I appreciate the person that you are. I am grateful for your friendship. I feel like I could call on you if I ever had a bind. Thanks. Have a great day.

Patty said...

We think we are overwhelmed when our children are babies but when they become teenagers and have all of the activities, coming and goings and everything else it becomes a whole new world.
As you know each one is worth every minute.
Our Heavenly Father and a Husband keep us balanced and sane. Thank goodness for them.