Sunday, May 15, 2011

April

Tanner was able to attend the Priesthood Session with Byron at the Conference Center on April 2nd.  Cooper, Jeff, Eric, Dad Beck and Jeremy also attended.  Pretty cool experience for Tanner since it was his first time going to the Priesthood Session.   They had amazing seats and  were really close to where President Monson came out and left.  The whole presidency came out at the same time and were waving at the audience.
Tanner had a Medieval project in 6th grade.  Each student had to get a certain number of points that they receive through different activities and projects.  One that Tanner enjoyed doing was making a sword.  He was a very determined young man.  He went into our garage and found a piece of wood that he could use.  Then he got a hand saw and started cutting.  I was amazed at how he stuck to this task even though it took him a long time to cut the shape he wanted.  Bradley sat on the front porch watching him cut through most of the process.  After cutting, he painted it.  Luckily Byron isn't as paranoid as me or my kids wouldn't get to experience saws or pocket knives. 

Our Spring Break was from April 11-15th.   Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate the first few days, so had to be creative to come up with some activities that weren't outdoors.  We decided to head to Classic Skating in Sandy on Tuesday.  Camille is amazing with her roller blades.  She has been riding them since she was around 5 years old.  She brought her own blades to use while the rest of us rented the roller skates.  She had fun doing laps around the rest of us.   None of us were very good on them at first.  There was a lot of falling and getting back up again in the beginning.  After some time the kids all started getting really good.  We brought Bradley's scooter to make it much more exciting for him.  He loved circling around with it. 

I remember how much I loved roller skating as a kid.  Boy am I out of practice.  I am so much slower than I ever used to be and not comfortable at all.  I started getting pretty confident and picking up speed when I ended up falling directly onto my tailbone - ouch!  I decided that roller skating is really a pretty scary sport and I will try to get my kids to learn how to roller blade before coming back:).
Bradley while taking a break at the arcades.  The kids a treat while there.  They opted for the ice-cream.  They were massive cups for $1.50.  I had five very happy boys!

The cute gang - Carter, Johnathan, Camille, Parker & Tanner - Bradley below.

Poor Johnathan fell back on his wrist right before we were leaving.  Since it was hurting pretty bad, we put some ice on it before heading home.  I ended up taking him into the after-hours clinic and sure enough he had a buckle fracture in his wrist.  Poor guy!  He ended up wearing a brace for about 2 weeks until it didn't hurt any more.  Luckily it wasn't broken, but still not so fun since he ended up not being able to swim the next few days while we headed to a hotel (more to come in next post).

2 comments:

Patty said...

That is so great that Tanner was able to have such a great first experience at the Priesthood Session. What an amazing memory for him.
Sorry to hear about Johnathan's arm. Roller skating is pretty dangerous. I use to love it but I have decided that one has to be for the younger generation. (One of our Young Women Leaders fell and broke her elbow and had to have two surgeries on it.)
I lived on roller skates in my elementary years.

Janessa Couch said...

Fun fun fun! Can't wait to see you guys!