Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Scout Camps

Stake Day Camp
Since I am in Scouts right now, I get the wonderful opportunity to go to the day camps with my boys. This year there were two camps each boy went to - Stake Day Camp and Camp Jeremiah. Stake Day Camp was on June 5th. I loved being with both Tanner & Johnathan at this camp. Our first area we went to was making bottle rockets and shooting them up into the air. The boys absolutely LOVED this activity. They filled up the bottles half way with water and hooked them up to a compressor which shot them into the air. I couldn't believe how high some of them flew. After this activity we headed to shooting bow and arrows and a science area.

Half way through this rotation it started to sprinkle. We kept on going until the rain turned to a down pour. We all quickly ran for cover under canopies and the pavilion. We all thought it would blow over. Since it was lunch time, we all started getting in line to eat. Most of the boys had their food when huge gusts of wind and rain starting coming, which knocked down a few of the canopies. At this point we determined that we were leaving - soaking wet! So disappointing for all the hard work that went into this activity and we were only able to see less than half of it. I think the disappointment was felt in every boy also. Johnathan was so excited about his first day camp and has this fun experience to remember.

Camp Jeremiah Johnson
On June 22nd, we were able to attend Camp Jeremiah Johnson. The Wolves and Bears went at the same time - so I was able to attend with Johnathan. Tanner attended a week earlier with the Webelos. This camp is up in the Springville canyon. We all had such a wonderful time. The weather was perfect and the boys all seemed to have a lot of fun. The boys were able to pan for gold, do bows and arrows, sling shots, made a rope and had a tug of war, make pioneer wagons and BB guns. Each boy had picked a buddy to be with and Johnathan was with Isaiah Anderson. There were about 19 boys that attended and 5 leaders. Johnathan's favorite part was the store where they could buy candy, pop, or scout items. The pocket knives were a huge hit - thankfully Johnathan was content with the candy:). We had a wonderful time.

4 comments:

Stephanie Johnson said...

Dallin just spent every afternoon and evening last week going to a Cub Scout camp. I went three of the days. He passed off tons of things and had a ton of fun. They do something called SWAPS where you make something that will attach to a hat and trade with the other boys. I'm glad you had a good time with your boys' at those camps. :)

Patty said...

That is so wonderful that you are able to spend this important time with your sons.
I loved that about being in Cub Scouts it made some great bonding opportunities.
The rain and wind didn't sound like fun but I'm sure they will always remember it.

Anonymous said...

I love day camp. I went last year and got to learn how to shoot a BB Gun. It was thrilling:) Earn my own patch.

Sharon Beck said...

It's too bad the Stake Day Camp was on a day that it poured. Thank goodness they had other camps they could go to. I was never a cub scout leader--which amazes me with having five sons--but I did get to go with a few of them to their summer day camps.