Thursday, June 25, 2009

Memorial Day - In memory of . . .

It has only taken me a month to post about this - not so bad:). I have had such a busy and crazy month that I haven't had much time to blog. I hope to get this updated soon.

Byron brought back these shirts from China and we thought that it would be fun to wear them today. They are what the kids call the "Kung Fu Panda shirts."

We had a great Memorial Day. Like always, we started out by heading to the American Fork cemetery to see my Grandpa & Grandma Adamson's grave. On the way there, I realized that I had left Bradley's clothes at home. Luckily we were going to see 2 cemeteries by our house before heading to Salt Lake so it wasn't too far out of our way to get them (thus, the pajamas - sorry Bradley).

I have always had such a close relationship with these grandparents and feel so fortunate to live close to where they are buried. The kids and I quickly gathered pine cones and wrote next to the grave "LOVE." When my Grandma Adamson was alive, she would always write with pine cones next to the grave of Grandpa. My kids and I enjoy continuing this tradition. There are years when we go and already find writing next to their grave, so others enjoy doing it also in the family.
(Parker, Carter, Tricia, Camille & Bradley)
(Johnathan, Tanner, Parker, Carter, Camille & Bradley)
Parker was so cute as we entered the American Fork Cemetery. We got out of our van and he immediately ran over to this gravestone. He was pretty excited to see his name.
After seeing Grandpa & Grandma Adamson's grave, we headed over to the other part of the cemetery to see where Byron Leonard Beck is buried. We met up with the family at this grave. There were also some horses across from the cemetery that the kids had to get close to. They were having a great time feeding them weeds.

Then we went over to the Lehi Cemetery to see where Harold Byron Beck and Beth Cooper Beck are buried. The kids had fun climbing trees and enjoying the beautiful surroundings. You may notice that Carter isn't in many of the pictures. That is because he has decided that taking pictures is a waste of time and will literally hide whenever the camera comes out. It usually takes a lot of bribing to get him in a picture. Hopefully he outgrows this stage.:)

Off to Bountiful Cemetery to see where Johanna and Troy are buried. This is probably one of my favorite cemeteries at this time of year. The grounds are kept so nicely and the flowers are just beautiful.
I love seeing the kids helping out with the brooms and scissors to beautify the graves. So much dirt, weeds and grass start growing around the grave, so it feels great to help make them look nice again. The cousins enjoyed playing together. Camille couldn't keep herself away from her niece and nephew very long.

I also had to go and see my Aunt Kathy's gravestone. What a beautiful and touching gravestone! I still can't believe that my Aunt Kathy is gone. She was such an awesome aunt who was such a great support to my family.
Salt Lake Cemetery is where two of Grandma Beck's sisters are buried along with John Cooper and Hanna Hansen. There is the coolest tree next to where they are buried that my kids all gravitate to.
After heading to 3 cemeteries, we are ready to head back and enjoy some yummy food. I always look forward to this holiday - so fun to reflect back on so many wonderful lives and also to enjoy getting to know family better. I know that my children look forward to going around to the graves every year and have learned so much about their genealogy from these excursions.

4 comments:

Stephanie Johnson said...

Seeing Johanna's grave reminded me of the clear memories I have of you cradling her in your arms while we were in Jerry's backyard. You were so sweet to her!

Patty said...

I'm so glad that you continue this tradition with your family. It was such an important part of my childhood.
It is so different living so far away from our loved ones on Memorial Day. I do miss it and I really appreciate your cleaning of the grass from the headstones.
I'm sure that Grandma and Grandpa appreciate your diligently keeping up the great pine cone tradition.

Patty said...

I love the bright red shirts. I love that color, it brightens everyone up and makes them look so happy.
Carter I missed your picture. I'm glad you were in at least one of them.

Grammy said...

What a great family tradition. I loved your grandpa and grandma Adamson. And your aunt Kathy. She was in my ward when I was living with my mom and dad during and after my divorce. She was always so sweet and friendly to me. I was so sad to hear about her accident and subsequent passing when it occurred. You have such a great family, Tricia. I love all of you!