Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spring thoughts

SPRING I love this time of year! I have a hard time convincing myself to stay inside doing housework when the weather is just so gorgeous outside.

Today while I was outside trying to entertain two "2" year olds, I decided to have them help me find some bugs. I was actually surprised that we didn't have to search very far to find them. Looking under some of my flowers, we found a lot of ants and potato bugs. After this kept their attention for about 1 minute, we went off searching for something else. We decided to sit under a tree and all of a sudden we saw a beautiful ladybug walking up the trunk. Bradley was so excited he wanted to touch it, but after watching it for a while we soon discovered 2 others walking next to it on the trunk. I don't know a lot about ladybugs, but do they like to climb trees? I was so taken back by seeing 3 at one time. We sat watching them for about 10 minutes. They would walk up to the top by the branches and then come back down. One eventually ended up on Bradley's hand (I think he ended up grabbing it while I wasn't looking). He was so excited, but since it looked like he would squish it any moment, I had him put it back onto the tree. I ran inside to grab my camera, but upon returning couldn't find them anymore. I think Bradley had a hand in that:).

I also have noticed lately that these beautiful blossoms that come on our flowering pear trees every spring have quite a horrible smell. How could anything so beautiful smell that way?

I am looking forward to many more days outside soaking up the sun with my family.

3 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

Ah, the beautiful smell of Spring. I wish I could enjoy it more. My allergies were pretty bad today, but I have to say that they are gorgeous. Bugs, not so much.

Patty said...

I love ladybugs. What a fun adventure for the tree of you.
Spring is so refreshing. Your blossoms are beautiful.

Carrrie said...

So neat that you are teaching Bradley to enjoy the spring! We have Ornamental Pear Trees (is that what you have?) and the blossoms do smell quite nasty. Fortunately, our spring blizzare a few weeks ago killed the blossoms, so I think we may be safe from the smell. Riley loves the Roly Poly Bugs, so we dug some of those up when we were planting rose bushes a few weeks ago. I wish Spring would really come...we have had some cold snowy days lately!