Friday, May 1, 2009

Laugh

Yesterday while making dinner, I was also trying to help Camille finish a report, get kids busy on doing their jobs, and the other fun stuff that us moms seem to be doing. I was cooking rice - it had boiled, so I covered it and turned it to simmer for 20 minutes. I left the room to finish other stuff and after the timer went off I quickly went into the kitchen to find a horrible smell brewing. I soon noticed that the heat was turned up to 7 and my rice had burnt. Camille is my little chef - she LOVES to help in the kitchen more than doing most anything else. She happened to walk into the kitchen while the rice was cooking - tasted it and since it was still hard decided to help out her mom by turning it up. I can laugh about it now since I can't smell the burned smell anymore and our meal is over.

I need to learn to laugh more often about little things that happen on a daily basis. Here are a couple of Mormonisms we had a good time laughing at as a family.

We had televisions set up at Stake Conference so that everyone could see the speaker. I was sitting near the back only a few rows from one of the sets when a little boy walked in. When he saw what was on the screen, he promptly asked, "Daddy, can I change the channel?"

Our little sister, age ten, came home from Primary last week and proudly stated that she had now learned the second Article of Faith. She quoted it thus: "We believe that man will be punished for his own sins and not for his Adam's apple."

Joseph B. Wirthlin said, "The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."

5 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

I am assuming that burnt rice smells bad, so I hope it does not happen to me. Can't wait until Lindsay will start making dinner.

tamster17 said...

Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying in life! Good to turn things like that into a humorous light. Thanks for the funny stories you shared!

Patty said...

I agree that laughter is the best medicine. Thank goodness after an incident (sometimes it takes longer than other times) we can see the humor in it.
I am a great believer in the power of laughter. I'd take a comedy over a violent movie any day. I just wish they had more clean ones. Thank goodness for Clearplay. The scary part is recommending a movie you Clearplayed to someone else.
I think my all time favorite comedy is the Little Rascals.
I loved your quotes.

Stephanie Johnson said...

You've got to get a rice cooker. They make perfect rice every time! :) My rice cooker has a delay timer so the rice can be ready when I get home from church or another activity.

Carrrie said...

Sadly I think Riley would be the little boy who would ask to change the channel at Stake Conference. But so funny! Randy is one of the techies for our stake so he knows where all the controls are. Hopefully Riley doesn't figure that out! Randy and I love laughing with our kids...they can just be so funny sometimes. And it helps us grow closer together. :) Aiden's new favorite book is a potty book and when Randy reads it he says the potty words so funny (not bad potty words...but the kind that teach kids it's ok to do those things in the potty) that Riley and I can't help but laugh at him.