Thursday, April 9, 2009

Motherhood

I grew up in a family of seven children, so I thought I knew all there was to know about having a large family. Now I am realizing that I really didn't know anything that went into raising a family. I love being a mother, and would NEVER trade it and my experiences for anything - but there are definitely days where I want to dig a hole and hide. Being a mother is down right TOUGH!!! Having a full time job as a stay at home mom is definitely VERY rewarding, but at the same time so draining.

Some of the things that get me out of bed each morning are:
When a child will be calling out my name just to find out where I am so I can give them a hug. A smile that will melt my heart. A sweet kid making a beautiful picture for me. A child telling me they loved the food I made. Seeing my children sleep so peacefully in bed. The obedient child who does what I ask the first time and doesn't complain. Having a child bring me a book to read to them. Walking into a room to find kids laughing and playing together. Having a delicious dinner made by my child.

I know there will continue to be days where I will feel discouraged , but the benefits definitely out weigh the negative. I feel so greatly blessed for each and every child I have been entrusted with. I can't even begin to list all of the great things I have learned from each of them.

5 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

I understand. I too love it, but it could be difficult. I have to say that I have really never had a child tell me how much they love my food so I better get some recipies from you. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tricia I needed to read this. The last couple of days have been tough. Kat and Will are testing me greatly.I should be grateful for the cute, sweet things they do and not dwell on the bad. Life is too short to get caught up in the frustrations of motherhood. We need to enjoy them while we can.

:) Tiff

Devin and Melinda said...

Every mother has days like that! Your family is beautiful and talented! You are a wonderful mother Tricia!

Sharon Beck said...

It definitely isn't easy being a mother but worth all the effort you put into it. I loved your telling us the positive things your children did. It's those times that help you keep going, isn't it? We are blessed to have our grandchildren raised by such awesome parents!

Patty said...

What a beautiful post. Ups and Downs sure do come with it. Thank goodness the journey is worth every minute.