Saturday, December 6, 2008

Motherly Love

I have realized as a mother how much my children mean to me. Even though I have 6 children, I love them all so different and in their own way. I can remember so many times growing up that my mom would go without to make sure we all had what we needed. I have had so many amazing experiences to make me who I am today - many of them have been from sacrificing my time, efforts and talents all for my family. They have helped create me into who I am and helped me become a better individual. I have definitely become a better person because of my children.

Today I have realized how important every child is in my family and how quickly everything can change. While driving home from Camille's dance performance, we had just gotten off the freeway and were slowing down as we were coming upon a light. I was in the left lane and all of a sudden saw a car coming right at us on the right side of the road. He was turning left out of a parking lot where the cars in the right lane were stopping for him to come across the lanes of traffic. He didn't see me coming and hit me as he came into my lane. The impact hit on the driver's side front tire and then slid all the way back to our back tire. Camille was sitting in the back seat right next to where this happened. We were not hurt at all. The car is not in perfect condition any more, but at least we were safe. I keep thinking about this happening and how easily Camille could have gotten hurt. If were were just one second further on the road the impact would have hit right next to Camille. I have had such a hard time realizing how easily she might not be here with us right now and it has torn me apart. I love my children more than words can ever say and wouldn't know what to do if anything ever happened to any of them.

Since this experience I have been reminded how easily anything can come into my life and turn it inside out. I realize how I need to rely on Heavenly Father more than ever to help keep my family safe. Family prayer morning and night has brought on a new meaning. I need to live each day not letting any moment be taken for granted.

I love being a mom more than anything and look forward to many wonderful years ahead as my children grow, become more independent and then move on to having families of their own. How could I not be grateful!

"Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose." -Helen Keller

15 comments:

Leah said...

That's a goregues picture of your kids and I'm so glad everyone is safe!

Stephanie Johnson said...

That post has brought me to tears. I'm so glad that you are all ok. Scary! Is you van needing much repair?

Janessa Couch said...

I love that picture. It is so cute! I am so glad that you guys are okay. Was that your new van, or Byron's car that it happened in? I hate when scary things like that happen.

Tricia said...

Luckily we were in the car except for I am afraid it will never be the same again - the car has lasted 13 years and we were hoping for at least 5 more. I will find out tomorrow all of the specifics with getting our car fixed, but his insurance is supposed to pay for all damages and a rental car for us while it is getting fixed - hopefully that happens.

Carrrie said...

What a frightening experience! I am so glad everyone is ok. What a blessing that you were all kept safe. You are such a great mom and an inspiration! I love the picture of the kids too!

wendipooh13 said...

love the photo that you added and oh wow!! that is soo scary and happens so fast, glad you are all ok and nothing major.. and I know what you mean, you always hope your kids will be ok

Michelle said...

Beautiful post, Tricia. I'm so grateful you're all okay.

Melissa said...

Trica, you are AWESOME! What an AMAZING sister-in-law you are! You make me want to be a better person every time I read your blog and whenever I am around you. Thank you for blessing my life and those of our entire family! I love you!

tamster17 said...

What a beautiful post about your kids Tricia & that pic of your kids is way to cute!!! It's interesting when we experience events in our lives that cause us to reflect and actually think about our feelings more than we probably would've otherwise. It sort of changes us in a way or makes us think differently about things we took a bit for granted before. I had one of those when I fell out of a raft and got sucked under it while whitewater rafting & thought I was going to die. It changed me and how I look at life. I'm glad you are all safe and that the car took the brunt of it all!

Unknown said...

I love that picture! Great post- it is a blessing to be a mother.

Patty said...

What a beautiful picture of your children. They sure are priceless everyone and blessed to have you as their Mother.
Reality sets in quick when unexpected accidents like that one happen. Thank goodness none of you were hurt.

Lissa said...

What a beautiful picture! I'm happy everyone was all right. I enjoy reading your posts. I appriciate your sincerity and honesty.

Anonymous said...

So glad you are all okay! That's scary!! You are so amazing and truly blessed.

The picture of your kids is amazing:)

Mrs. Jamison said...

I'm glad that all of you are okay - accidents are so scary, and they really do help you to see how fragile life is. Your picture of your kids is beautiful!

Cara said...

I love your new family pictures! I am so glad you are all safe! Car accidents are so scary. Life can change in the blink of an eye. Did I read on Kari's blog that your getting a truck??