Friday, January 16, 2015

Dad Adamson kidney transplant - Sept. 10, 2013

The day finally came that my parents had been waiting for.  My dad got a call saying that he needed to come to the hospital because he might be able to get a new kidney.  After her made it to the hospital, he was told that this kidney was indeed for him.  I headed for the hospital as soon as I heard and got their just before Dad was wheeled into the operating room.  He was so happy and cute when I saw him.  During the surgery, I enjoyed hanging out with mom in the waiting room.  Allyson, Uncle Rob and Uncle Jay all came while we were there also.  Dad's surgery ended up going amazingly well.  We found out later that a young teenager had died and Dad got his kidney - it was very healthy and Dad wasn't even the first person in line for it.  Through a series of miracles, Dad was the recipient.  What a huge blessing, yet so very sad for the family that lost a child at such a young age.  I was able to stay at the hospital until I saw dad after surgery.  He was coherent when I saw him.  I am so grateful that I was able to be there and that everything went well.

Dad ended up staying at the hospital for quite a few days after.  Melissa worked at the same hospital, so it was fun seeing her one of the days and even going to lunch.  Over the next couple of months, Dad had tons of doctors appointments and had a lot of medicine to remember to take.  For how huge this surgery was, Dad recovered so quickly.  He got so much more energy after the first couple of weeks than he had had in many many months.

Here is the doctor that performed the surgery talking to Mom after in the waiting room.  He was so nice and thorough in his explanation about how the surgery went.


 The waiting room has this cool computer that shows the surgery times and has a number for each patient.  Dad's was the pink line in the middle that goes just a little to the right of the blue.
Dad after the surgery in the ICU.  I got a bad picture, but he actually did smile for me.
Dad looked much better the next day.  I am so grateful for this amazing man and the role he plays in my life.  I feel so fortunate we live in a time where we have amazing doctors and medicine where miracles are performed daily.  We live by some of the best hospitals (University of Utah).  He had excellent care while there.  

No comments: