Monday, July 21, 2014

Tricia surgery

Back in September of 2013 I started having problems with my left foot.  I was walking in my front yard when I landed half way on the cement and half way on the grass.  I heard a popping noise and then felt pain for about one week.  A couple of months later and the pain wasn't gone.  I had started limping and could tell something was definitely wrong with my foot.  I decided to have a podiatrist take a look.  He told me back in December that I have bunions on both of my feet - I was probably born with them.  When I injured my foot in September, that bunion has hit really hard.  Since it is such a soft and tender area, the injury caused my large toe to start moving towards my smaller toes.  He told me I would need to have surgery at some point, but wait until a good time to do it.  Since we had our big cruise planned in April, I decided to wait and do it at the beginning of May. 

May 9th was the big day.  I went to the hospital around 6 am to be prepped.  The doctor (Scott Rogers - Rogers Foot & Ankle Clinic) was a little late showing up so my surgery didn't start until around 7:40 am.  It went relatively easy.  Luckily Byron was able to be there to help calm my nerves.  I remember waking up in the recovery room about 1 hour later.  It is a pretty quick surgery.  I was so drowsy from all of the medicines that I would ask Byron the same question over and over again - sorry Byron:)  I am glad he took these pictures even though I look awful.  I had a cast put on my foot so I wouldn't be able to move my toe for 3 weeks.  They actually went in and broke my toe and cut off the bone next to my bunion.  Then they put two small stainless steel screws into my bone to hold my toe in place. 

The cast was meant to be walked on, so I didn't have to deal with a knee scooter or crutches thankfully.  We left the hospital closer to 9:30 am.   We grabbed some medication on the way home then I headed to bed.  I practically stayed there for a week.  The medication made me very loopy and tired so I wasn't able to drive.  My kids were so awesome to help out.  I also have amazing family and friends that brought in meals and were so great.  Byron actually left the day of my surgery to attend his Uncle Leonard's funeral in Arizona.  Camille was awesome to sleep in my bedroom so I could get help whenever I needed any.  I had to keep the area iced for 3 days and my kids were great to run back and forth refilling my bag every 4-5 hours.  I needed to also keep my foot elevated because it kept the swelling down.  I definitely noticed when I hadn't for a while as I got so much pressure around my cast I thought I would go crazy at different times. 
 
The next couple of weeks were a lot of fun activities and end of year concerts for the kids.  I attended most of them trying to elevate my foot as much as possible during the shows. 

After a week I was feeling really good.  I think I finally didn't use any pain medications about 2 weeks into my surgery.  The cast came off at the 3 week mark and an x-ray indicated at that time that everything was healing well but still had some swelling.  I was given a shoe to wear for the next 3 weeks.  Luckily it was pretty small and I felt like I was almost back to a normal shoe. 
 
On June 23 I had my 6 week check up.  I had been experiencing pain in my toe area that was new the past week.  After getting x-rays, it was realized that one of the screws were coming up and my toe was rotating back and forth on one screw causing pain in that area.  I found out that my body was rejecting the stainless steel screws.  3 weeks later I had the other screw coming up also.  So at this point I need to have the wonderful surgery again.  I guess in the past 7 years, I am the 4th time my doctor has had this happen - I am one lucky person:)  So very discouraging - I guess I am needing to learn patience.  So I have my next surgery planned for August 6 but won't know for sure if we have a place in the surgical center until the day before.  I have been experiencing pain a little here and there, but am worried with the thought that the screws are slowly coming up.  I worry how much pain I will eventually feel and definitely don't want to start feeling the screws coming up.  So the next surgery will include 3-4 titanium screws and probably a metal plate.  It will probably be pretty similar to the last surgery.  If they find an infection on my foot during surgery, then I might have to stay off my foot completely and not be able to apply pressure on it for 3 weeks (which would be awful). 
 
It has been strange practically only wearing right shoes the past 3 months.  All of my left ones have been in my closet since I can't wear them.  I might just wear down all of my right shoes :).  Emily Beck also had foot surgery with the same doctor about 9 days before me.  We were able to sport the beautiful cast and shoes together.  I fortunately had this happen with my left foot, but Emily had surgery on her right foot so she couldn't drive at all for about 6 weeks. 

One thing this surgery had taught me is that I need to slow down and enjoy contemplating and sitting with my children more.  I guess with this second surgery I will even get more practice with it:).
 May 9 after surgery


 May 31 with our lovely feet
 June 3 cast came off


 

No comments: