Sunday, May 19, 2013

Cancun Day 1 and 2

Feb. 7, 2013 - Michael and Genevieve came over to our house around 4:00 p.m. to watch our children while we went on a quick get-a-way.  After some explanation we left around 4:30 p.m. for the airport.  We flew out at 7:00 p.m. to spend the night in Denver.  We bought a Fun Jet package that started in Denver and flew to Cancun.  Byron used some of his United miles to get us to Denver.  The Denver airport is absolutely massive!  We stayed at the Town Place Suites which is a Marriott.  It was really a fun European feeling place.  We got to bed around 11:30 p.m.

Feb. 8, 2013 - I woke up at 7:02 a.m. to a text from Carter on my I-phone saying "Good morning Mom!"  This boys is loving this IPod Touch just a little too much!  We had our shuttle waiting at 8:00 a.m. to go back to the airport for our 10:55 a.m. flight.  We ended up getting a window and aisle seat with nobody in between us.  It was so nice to not be sitting next to somebody else.  During the 3 hour flight, we watched "Count of Monte Cristo" on Byron's Ipad mini.  It was nice to speed up the flight time.  I moved over to the window seat upon landing so I could take some fun pictures of Cancun from the air.  Cancun airport is absolutely crazy!  People are pushed through customs with long lines then we can't get away from people trying to grab us for the time shares.  We finally made it out to the shuttles where we had reserved one to get a ride 1 hour away to our hotel - The Occidental at Xcaret.  The guy that drove us was really nice.  Byron had fun talking to him in Spanish practically our whole drive.

Our hotel is really nice.  It is very tropical.  Our room has tile floors.  We have a balcony that over looks green trees.  I walked outside to see what the view was from our balcony, when I noticed a lady next door sitting on her balcony.  She said that you can see monkeys swinging through the trees.  I am excited to sit out here to see if I can really see them.

Our hotel is an all-inclusive resort so the food is free.  We ventured out from our room to get dinner at 5:30 p.m.  We are in building 21 and at the entrance to our building there were some workers feeding a huge rodent looking thing.  I grabbed my iPhone and snapped a picture. 

We ate at a buffet style place next to the pool.  We only had about 15 minutes to eat before it closed.  The fruit and pizza were my favorite.  I was eating so fast I couldn't really enjoy it.  Afterwards we took a tram over to the beach area.  The sun was almost down so we didn't have the best views.  It was so gorgeous.  I look forward to seeing it during the day.  We walked around for about 1 1/2 hours checking out the resort.  We watched a little bit of "Tangled" on a large screen while drinking a pina colada.  It is so humid that the drink was very refreshing.  We decided to call it a night around 7:30 p.m.

It has been so hard not getting Wi-Fi.  My dad went in for an angiogram today and I have no clue how the procedure went.  He was admitted at the "U" last night and went in at 10 a.m. for the procedure.  We took off for Cancun before he came out of the procedure so all day I have been wondering how it went.  Byron and I broke down to get Wi-Fi for 1 hour.  It cost $11 - pretty crazy.  I guess I have gotten so dependent on the Internet that it is hard to be without it.  I found out my dad's surgery went well and that he is recuperating in his hotel room.



 rodent by our hotel building








1 comment:

Janessa Couch said...

Oh my goodness, so beautiful and so fun. One day I want to go there. That rodent is gross. Reminds me of the Princess Bride.