Thursday, April 21, 2011

Slacker

I can't believe how quickly I can fall behind on my blog.  I guess it means I need to specify time each week to do it or apparently it never gets done.  I hopefully will get it up to date within the next week. 

We have been keeping very busy around here.  I am trying to get my house in order.  After living here for 8 years, my house is in terrible need of a good cleaning.  I have certain spots in my house that are ALWAYS the problem areas.  I'm sure we all have them - it just seems to create so much mess and clutter in those areas.  I am trying to attack each of those areas and some how try to alleviate the mess by adding boxes or some type of organizational item.  I have already done my computer area and am so excited about the change so far.  I have purchased 2 decorative baskets that I add my need to go through items, mail, bills, etc.  It is great because now those papers aren't sitting on my computer desk in piles.  I have them in a basket and can pull it out whenever I want to look through them.  When I am done, I just stick the basket back and the area around my computer is clean. 

I have started cleaning out my storage room downstairs, but have probably 1/3 of the way to still go.  There are boxes I have never opened since we have been in this house - so many things that are in need of being thrown out or DI.  I can't believe how much I have held onto that isn't needed.  I have gotten to the point where I am just getting rid of stuff.  I have decided that all of the "stuff" around me is creating chaos and havoc in my life so why not just get rid of it.  I have a long way to go still, but at least I am trying to attack it. 

One of my favorite organizational ideas came from a blog I read a while back.  You can buy the shoe organizer from Wal-Mart (or any other store that carries it) and put all of those odds and ends into them.  I put one in most of my children's bedrooms and have loved that they now have a place for those small odds and ends things.  I also put one on my coat closet and have LOVED it.  I plan to put one on my toy closet for those loose game pieces, etc. that seem to get lost in the shuffle along with small card games.  I just need 48 hours of uninterrupted time to get it all done :). 

Well, back to trying to attack my house - hopefully I can report back in 3 months that I have gone through everything and either found a place for it or gotten rid of it.  Until then I feel like I am creating more of a disaster, but the end results will be awesome!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Tricia,
I recently cleaned out our basement so that we could finish our basement. I felt very refreshed every time I took a huge load of stuff to DI or to the junk yard. Now, we just have to finish putting up the sheetrock, tape & texture, carpet and then we will have a livable basement. Good luck to you!