Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dad and Stake Conference

I had to post some fun pictures of Dad with Bradley and Camille. Bradley loved going by "Grandpa Adamson" and being by him. He also kept on asking where Grandma Adamson was. We were outside enjoying the nice evening when Bradley asked "Where's Grandma?" I don't think Bradley has ever seen Grandpa without Grandma. Grandpa pulled out his cell phone and showed Bradley a picture of Grandma on his cell phone. Bradley loved that.

The following day was Stake Conference. We had the awesome opportunity to have Elder Russell M. Nelson come. The last time our stake had someone come from the twelve was when our Stake Presidency was put in. It was fun having dad here to share this cool experience with us. We went to the American Fork tabernacle at 9 a.m. to get good seats. When we arrived, the only seat pretty close was located directly in front of the podium. I am thinking to myself as my dad and Camille go and sit there, what are they thinking? How do you keep 6 children quiet when you are so close to where the apostle will be standing. I soon realized that being that close might have its advantages also since the kids could definitely see the speaker and hopefully listen more since we were so close.

Bradley started getting fussy an hour into conference, so I took him downstairs to walk around. I was watching conference from a TV downstairs when Elder Nelson started to speak. He was so awesome. He began by talking about children and mentions 2 that he met before conference started. These 2 kids used to be in our ward. He had them both come up and stand next to him and started talking to them. After they sat down he said (this is as well as Byron & I can remember this happening since one month has passed away), "There is this cute red headed family sitting here on the front row. Why don't you stand up and turn around so everyone can see you. Go ahead and stand on the seats so they can see you at the Stake Center." The kids stood up and waved to the cameras. As I was watching on the TV, I was hoping it would pan down to my children, but it never did. At this point, I decided that I needed to go upstairs and sit with my family. Elder Nelson then asked all of the primary children to stand and sing for him "I am a Child of God." What an awesome experience! This will definitely be ingrained in my memory for a long time along with making a huge impact on my children. How neat to hear a prophet of the Lord speak from such close proximity. I was strengthened from hearing him speak and realized how grateful I am to be a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints."

2 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

What a neat opportunity! Mom was telling me some other things that he did at the conference. We had Elder Ballard here in April and it was amazing as well. I would LOVE to hear the kids sing I am a Child of God. How touching that would be!!!

Patty said...

What a precious experience. I enjoyed reading about it, he is such an amazing person. That is great that your children were so close. Most of them will remember that experience for years to come. Hopefully they wrote about it in their journals.